New page
Home page

image
The now vacant 4-story/1 basement U.S. Federal Courthouse was built in 1902-05, expanded in 1931 and served as the main Tampa post office until 1965. This building represents the oldest federal government
building in downtown Tampa and has been considered a historic landmark on the
National Register of Historic Places since 1974. From 1852 to 1939, The U.S.
Treasury Department􀂶s Office of the Supervising Architect designed and
over saw the construction of federal buildings through out the country. Often combining the functions of courthouse, custom house and post office, these structures helped to extend the authority of the federal government which had previously met in an assortment of less prestigious state offices and rented buildings.